Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Last night in Paris?

Yesterday I bought myself a book: John Steinbeck, East of Eden. It has more than 1000 pages so this gives me something to do. I thought of buying Prousts "A la recherche du temps perdu" but they did not have it in English...

Today I went to the Kenyan embassy at 10:00am. I had to speak to some senior officer but after some stern staring and asking a few questions, and checking with headquarters, he decided that I was not a dangerous person and ordered that I could apply for a visa. At 15:00 I could pick it up.
During lunch time I walked around Observatoire de Paris where I spent 6 months in 1996. Not muched had changed in that neighbourhood.
Afterwards I went to the embassy of Tanzania. Although it was after official opening hours, they let me in and promptly started to help me getting a visa. Everybody was happy in that place. In the Dutch embassy there was a bullet proof screen between the client and the bureaucrats. In the Kenyan embassy I already shook hands with people. In the Tanzania embassy people were walking freely in and out in a friendly atmosphere. Not once did anybody complain there that I was asking for something outside opening hours!

I hope that this will be my last night in Paris.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's quite nice for you to go see the Observatoire again... I have quite fond memories of that even though we were only there two nights.

Anonymous said...

Sim, o que é feito da lesma do Jorge Santos?
Manuela